With IVF (In Vitro Fertilization), eggs and sperm are combined in a lab; when an embryo forms, it is then placed into the uterus.
IVF success rates are determined by several unpredictable variables such as age, location, and reproductive history. Some people think that traveling for IVF makes the process riskier, but there is no evidence to support this claim. In fact, being on vacation might help patients relax and reduce stress levels.
IVF is an expensive and life-changing procedure, but at MedEx, we can help you find a trusted clinic or hospital overseas. Many of our clients have saved thousands of dollars by booking appointments through our site. And the best part? It's free to use!
IVF is often the last resort for couples struggling with infertility, after trying other methods like artificial insemination, fertility drugs, and surgery.
IVF may be recommended if any of the following conditions apply to you:
- Blocked or damaged fallopian tubes
- Ovulation problems
- Male infertility issues, including low sperm count or decreased sperm motility
- Antibody problems that adversely affect sperm or eggs
- Unexplained fertility difficulties
The IVF Procedure: What To Expect
There are five steps in the IVF process, which are explained below:
- Stimulation and examination of egg development in the ovaries: Egg production is stimulated with medication, as multiple eggs are desired. Hormone levels are checked with blood tests, and ultrasound is used to examine the ovaries for signs of egg production.
- Egg collection: A minor surgical procedure that uses a hollow needle is used to collect the eggs from the pelvic cavity.
- Sperm collection: The male produces a sperm sample to be used in the following step.
- In the laboratory, the sperm and eggs are combined, and the ideal environment for fertilization is simulated: The process of combining the eggs and sperm is called insemination. After this, the combined eggs and sperm are stored in the right laboratory conditions to encourage fertilization.
- Transferal of the successfully developed embryos to the uterus: The eggs are monitored closely for signs of cell division. If this is confirmed, fertilization is deemed to have taken place and the eggs, now called embryos, can be transferred to the uterus. Viable eggs are transferred 3–5 days after fertilization using a painless procedure. Implantation occurs between 6–10 days following egg retrieval if the procedure is successful.
How Long Does One Round of IVF Treatment Take?
It is recommended that you spend around a week at your destination abroad for one round of IVF treatment. Your chosen clinic will be able to advise on exactly how long you will need to be in-country.
Are There Any Side-effects or Risks Associated with IVF?
It is important you discuss any pre-existing medical conditions with your doctor before your treatment begins, and that you are fully aware of any potential side effects and risks. Some important considerations include:
- Multiple Births: This is the greatest risk of fertility treatment and, with your doctor, you should decide on how many embryos to transfer in your treatment.
- Drug Reactions: Adverse reactions to fertility drugs are usually mild but may include headaches, irritability, hot flashes, feeling low, and restlessness.
- Ectopic Pregnancy: Occurs when an embryo develops in the fallopian tube rather than the womb. It can cause vaginal bleeding and miscarriage. Scans and hormone tests are used to detect ectopic pregnancies but if you suffer stomach pain or vaginal bleeding, alert your doctor immediately.
- Ovarian Hyper-Stimulation Syndrome (OHSS): A rare but severe reaction to fertility drugs, causing stomach pain, swelling, nausea, and vomiting. You should contact your doctor immediately should you experience these symptoms.
What About the Quality of IVF Treatment abroad?
Even in your home country, there are good and not-so-good doctors, and going abroad is no different.
This is why MedEx conducts rigorous background checks on our doctors and clinics, verifying qualifications, professional memberships, and affiliations and obtaining reviews from previous patients. Taken together, all this information gives us (and you) a fairly good idea of whether a doctor is reliable and trustworthy.
If you need any further information about IVF abroad, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us, and to book with us for quality-checked doctors, and guaranteed best prices.
What Is the Success Rate of IVF?
The success rate of IVF nowadays is generally high and improving by the year (especially for those under 35 and using donor eggs). However, you should expect to have more than one cycle of treatment. The global success rate of IVF over 3 cycles is nearly 40%.
It is difficult to put an absolute price on IVF treatment as there are so many variables.
Getting Started with MedEx
Browse through our list of JCI-accredited hospitals from “https://medex.co.th/service/hospitals”. You'll find that we have partnered with some of the leading facilities in Thailand.
Book an appointment through our site to secure the best prices and enjoy 24-hour access to our Customer Care Team. They can also help you book or provide more information about traveling abroad for in vitro fertilization treatment.